Pope Benedict XVI, head of the Roman Catholic Church has hinted that he would like to spend his days after retirement in seclusion. The observation was made by BBC’s Alan Johnston who was reporting from the Vatican.
In a meeting with Roman Priests, Pope said, “Even if I am withdrawing into prayer, I will always be close to all of you… even if I remain hidden to the world,”
- 17-23 February – Lenten retreat- most regular Vatican functions put on suspension mode
- 24 February – Pope recites Angelus for the last time before resigning
- 27 February – Last weekly audience was addressed by Pope in St Peter’s Square
- Evening of 28 February – Pope Resigns
- From 15 March – Conclave to elect new Pope begins